Permits are required for a number of reasons:
- It’s the law. State building codes require that permits be obtained for certain types of work. Permits provide a legal record of work performed.
- Permits protect you, your family and your investment (they are designed to help ensure that licensed contractors do the work when required).
- Inspections ensure that work is done safely and that it meets the minimum code requirements.
- Minor problems that could lead to costly repairs, liability, and life/safety issues can be detected during permit inspections and brought to your attention before the situation worsens.
- When selling property, the buyer, realtor and/or lender may require that unpermitted work be corrected, properly permitted, and inspected before closing.
- Lack of permits and inspection approvals may void homeowner’s insurance.